Thursday, June 17, 2010

Long Soup

Ok so there will be actual measurements for this Soup as it is all to taste. But in saying that you shouldn't really go wrong if you follow my awesome sons instructions.

Actually this Long Soup recipe is a family hand me down. I remember my grandma Majid (Nana Semah) making this soup for me when i was younger and actually any time that i see her. Nana Semah is a great cook and all of her children are. She thought my mum how to cook this soup, my mum taught me, and now my kids know. Kealin especially loves it and often requests it. So here you go we are sharing the Heavenly bliss you now. Having a special tutorial from my Nana is the best way to learn but Kealin is good too.

You will need

1 good sized chook ( i got two small ones on special)
the rind of a lemon
chicken stock
ginger
an onion
egg noodles (my Nana uses Asian noodles but they don't sell them where i live)

Start by putting the chook in a good sized pot you want enough soup in there for left overs : )
Add the rind of the lemon and the whole onion not chopped or anything its just for the flavor.
Grate in some ginger. As a tip we keep our ginger in the freezer and just grate off what we need with a micro plane its way easier and you always have fresh ginger.
Enough chicken stock powder to make up to the quantity of water you will add we just go till it looks like enough.
Salt
and pepper
and then you find a little boy and get him to add some more stock powder
(just for extra flavor don't tell Kealin lol)
Then add some water
Till you have covered the chook or chickens !! Turn on the stove to medium high and boil those chickens till they are nicely cooked. We turned the stove down to medium low half way through cooking. When the chickens are cooked remove them from the pot and set aside. At this stage i like to strain the soup through a fine sieve to remove all the chunks of lemon, and onion.
I guess you could top your soup with whatever you like but then it wouldn't be my Nana's Long Soup so this is what we do. I slice up the spring onion, make a omelet of the eggs, and then chop and fry off the bacon. These all get layered on to og the soup.
When the chicken is cool enough to shred, Shred it! And then cook the pasta according to the directions . Now to layer the soup. First the cooked and strained pasta, some shredded chook, some egg, some bacon and then top with the onions. I like to pour the soup over the top of the onions this will draw the flavor through the soup.
We like to sprinkle with a little soy sauce at the end,
Enjoy!! This is really very yummy

No comments: